The goal of every blog is to gain readership, and this is not something that can be achieved over night. In fact, it takes a lot of effort and time to establish a strong reader base. One way a blog can get more traffic is to encourage reader interaction. This can be done in many different ways, but the easiest way is through interesting content.
Post Engaging and Interesting Content on Your Blog
When readers enjoy what they are reading, they are more likely to comment and return to your blog time after time. This means that every blog post should be interesting and engaging. Engaging content will draw more readers and encourage interaction. Stale and boring blogs never get enough readership to sustain them because nobody wants to share something boring with others. Blogs thrive off of social networking and RSS feeds, so be sure to have content that people will want to share.
Some people think it is difficult to come up with interesting blog content, but here are some good blog post topics to get you started:
- Controversial topics, like politics and news. Everyone has an opinion, and they may be willing to share and fuel a heated debate that people will want to follow.
- New and Innovative products that relate to your blog. For instance, a tech blog could talk about new computers or advancements in technology.
- Funny stories and comedy pieces. Everyone likes to laugh and this is one sure piece of content people will want to share with others.
- Real-life stories, especially those that evoke emotions, whether happy or sad.
- Anything that is popular in media at the time, like movies, books, and hot topics.
In addition to having interesting content, it is also important to post new content frequently and have a good blog design. Otherwise people will forget about your blog, and not come back to participate again.
Start a Conversation with Readers
Once you have good content on your blog, the interaction should happen naturally, but there are a few things you can do to help the situation along. It takes effort, but reader interaction is an important part of a successful blog.
- Allow comments on your blog posts. This is important because without a place for readers to leave their thoughts and opinions, you’ll never know what they’re thinking or have a way for them to get involved and interact. When someone leaves a comment, be sure to respond. Readers love it when they can get a reaction out of the writer and they begin to build a relationship when the writer responds. This will definitely keep readers coming back for more, and telling others about your blog too.
- A lot of people don’t realize there is more to blogging than writing posts and responding to comments. It is also important to stay up to date on what similar blogs are doing. And, when it is relevant, you should leave comments that link back to your blog. This way you can gain more readership from people who are already interested in your topic.
- Pose a question at the end of your blog posts. This should encourage readers to comment and share your post on social networks.
- Sometimes readers like to have an alternative way of contacting the writer. For this reason, contact information should be in a prominent place on your blog.
Posting interesting content on your blog that people want to comment on is the best way to encourage interaction, and this interaction will build a strong reader base. With that reader base, you’ll be able to make money online and enjoy interacting with your blog readers.